Included in the survey are the flags of the following entities:
- The 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia;
- The five inhabited U.S. insular areas;
- Micronesia and the Marshall Islands, two of three independent states that are in with the United States (the third, , is not included);
- The 13 Canadian provinces and territories;
- The Canadian region of Labrador (the province of Newfoundland and Labrador was named "Newfoundland" until 2001, though Labrador was already a part of it).
Georgia, which ended in last place in the survey, adopted a new flag in 2003, as did Mississippi in 2020. Smaller changes were made to the flags of Louisiana (2006 and 2010), Utah (2011) and New York (2020).
The following gallery shows the results of the survey. The average score of each flag is listed in parentheses.